Thursday, November 09, 2006

October Show Highlights

Given everything that's going on right now, I should be forgiven for occasionally forgetting to cover a show. However, these shows were stellar, and they deserve mention.

Mobius Band wsg. Baby Dayliner @ Empty Bottle 10/18

Baby Dayliner

I saw this guy, who goes by Baby Dayliner, take stage after the opening band, and I thought he was going to introduce Mobius Band. As it turns out, he was about to perform a set. It looks like he's performed with a full band before, but this time he was just singing to a CD blasing over the PA. The first song sounded like a Barry White cover, and I quickly took my hater stance in pure anti-hipster form. I saw these girls in vintage dresses and guys in nasty sport jackets and mowhawks dancing their hearts out, and I wanted to strangle each and every one of them. However, as the performance went on, it became very difficult not to enjoy it. The soul and R&B gave way to more pleasurable sounds not far off from some of Beck's best work. Baby has an undeniable stage presence and a voice that reminds me of Morissey and David Bowie. So next time bring the band along, and maybe I'll start dancing too.



Mobius Band

Mobius Band were a hit on MSU's Impact Radio while I was still a student, so I was very excited to hear their brand of electronic indie rock. For only three people, they create a lot of racket. But their EP and debut album have more memorable moments than many bands with four LP's under belt. Currently, I'm at a loss for words (that's probably why I didn't write a review and it took me so long to post anything), so let's enjoy YouTube while we still can:



Anathallo @ Schubas 10/27

Anathallo
Anathallo appears to be the little band from Michigan that could, just like that story about a train engine climbing a long mountain and puffing "I think I can, I think I can." Well, I know they can. After a triumphant set on Friday at Lollapalooza, they returned to play my favorite Chicago venue (Schuba's) on Halloween weekend. It was enjoyable, but their sound it better left outdoors. Here's an older clip I found on the Tube (not the best quality, but better than nothing):



No comments: