Monday, December 18, 2006

Year End Special, Vol 3: Favorite Songs

This is a list of my favorite songs of 2006. The number was arbitrary - this is just how many popped into my head when I sat down to compile the list - but the order goes from 1 (most favorite) to the end (barely included). The way to get on the list is simple. All of these songs were stuck in my head at some point this year (and many were featured on my MySpace page...if you've ever visited). You'll notice a correlation with my most favorite songs and the albums that made my Top Ten list. You'll also notice some inclusions from the Biggest Disappointments and Bands I Hate the Most (which should arrive within the next day or two). The point is, a song is separate from an album, but it's also separate from the band itself. I might not like the direction one of my favorite bands is moving, but that doesn't mean a song or two doesn't still give me a thrill. Also, I sometimes think a band is extremely overrated, but I can admit when they have a powerful song or two.

Some will include short bits of info or stories. Some will have links and/or pictures. But some you'll just have to look up yourself. So here are my favorite songs to come out this year. I know you're excited. Remember to breathe!

  1. Destroyer – European Oils : No song pulled on my heart strings the way this one did.
  2. Mew – Why Are You Looking Grave?
  3. Feist – Mushaboom (Postal Service Mix) : The original Mushaboom had more plays on my stereo this year (but that was released on Let It Die way back in 2004). Listen for Ben Gibbard vocals mixed with Feist's, and hope that she is added to the roster if Postal Service ever records again.
  4. The Long Winters – Honest
  5. Neko Case – Star Witness
  6. Aloha – Ice Storming
  7. M. Ward – Chinese Translation : The best road trip song of the year.
  8. Evangelicals – Diving
  9. Phoenix – Long Distance Calls
  10. Serena-Maneesh – Selina’s Melodie Fountain
  11. Girl Talk – Summer Smoke
  12. The Little Ones – Oh, MJ! : These guys probably would have made my top ten list, but they didn't release a full length album yet.
  13. Annuals – Dry Clothes
  14. Camera Obscura – Let’s Get Out Of This Country
  15. Belle & Sebastian – We Are the Sleepyheads : B&S took some leaps on their new album, and not all to good places. But this song blew me away.
  16. Hot Chip – Boy From School
  17. DeVotchKa – Curse Your Little Heart : I'm sad that I missed them live. These Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack-ers make me want to drive to Mexico immediately.
  18. Thom Yorke – The Eraser
  19. The Essex Green – Rue de Lis
  20. Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives
  21. Wax on Radio - The General of Medicine City
  22. The Decemberists – The Island : The album was lackluster, but this three-part song left my jaw dropped.
  23. Ellen Allien/Apparat – Way Out
  24. Anathallo – Hanasakajijii Four: A Great Wind, More Ash
  25. The Roots – Atonement
  26. My Brightest Diamond – Dragonfly : Her fluttering voice reminds me of Fiona Apple.
  27. Basement Jaxx – Take Me Back to Your House
  28. CSS – Let’s Make Love and Listen to Death From Above : Silly Brazilians (one with a handlebar mustache) knew how to rock Chicago's Pitchfork Festival like no other band.
  29. Band of Horses – The Great Salt Lake : Three words - pedal steel guitar.
  30. Jim Noir – My Patch
  31. The Elected – Would You Come With Me
  32. The Rapture – Whoo! Alright-Yeah…Uh Huh
  33. Tapes ‘n Tapes – Jakov’s Suite : This band was super-hyped, but they do know how to serve up a raw, urgent type of indie rock (like a northern Kings of Leon)
  34. Ratatat - Wildcat
  35. Lily Allen – Knock ‘Em Out : Do not approach Lily Allen at a club, unless you desire to be humiliated
  36. Sonic Youth – James Run Free
  37. The Ebb and Flow - Here Are Caught
  38. The Diminisher - Snail Song
  39. MSTRKRFT – Works On You
  40. Asobi Seksu – Thursday
  41. Those Transatlantics - Boys and Children, Sing for Summer
  42. Yo La Tengo – Pass The Hatchet, I Think I’m Goodkind
  43. Bound Stems – Wake Up, Ma and Pa Are Gone
  44. …And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead – Sunken Dreams : This song makes me think that ToD still has it in them to make music with the same cathartic release as is found on 2002's Source Tags and Codes. Here's hoping...
  45. Beach House – Saltwater : This east coast duo creates eerie pop best listened to with your eyes closed
  46. Junior Boys – In The Morning
  47. NOMO – Nu Tones
  48. Sufjan Stevens – Put The Lights On The Tree : Stevens does Christmas (and Michigan) proud with this, one of many originals from the Songs for Christmas box set
  49. Peter Bjorn & John - Young Folks
  50. Subtle – Midas Gutz
  51. The Big Sleep – You Can’t Touch The Untouchable
  52. Black Moth Super Rainbow + The Octopus Project – Spiracle : This was a collaboration between two groups I had never heard of before. They created some amazing indie electronica.
  53. Thunderbirds Are Now! – We Win (Ha Ha)
  54. Amy Millan – Blue In Yr Eye
  55. Aesop Rock – Daylight
  56. The Boy Least Likely To – Be Gentle With Me
  57. Say Hi To Your Mom – Blah Blah Blah
  58. Jeff’s Holiday – College : Yes, he is my brother, and yes, I get this song stuck in my head for days at a time
  59. French Kicks – So Far We Are
  60. The Flaming Lips – Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung : The best copy of Meddle-era Pink Floyd I've ever heard.
  61. Islands – Rough Gem
  62. Disco Biscuits – World Is Spinning (live)
  63. Spank Rock – Bump
  64. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – In This Home of Ice
  65. TV on the Radio – Hours : I hate this band, but I whistled this song for a week straight while I was busy hating them

No comments: