Sunday, September 17, 2006

Elf Power @ Beat Kitchen - 9/16/06

Elf Power w/ Geoff Reacher and Probably Vampires @ Beat Kitchen - 9/16/06

MySpace links:
Probably Vampires
Geoff Reacher
Elf Power

Tonight something happened that hadn’t happened in a while. Well, that is if six weeks (the time since Lollapalooza) is a while. But tonight, Probably Vampires, a local band who I’d never heard of, rocked my fricking socks off. Period. They have one of the most clever names I’ve heard in a while (which allows for the creepy yet captivating introduction “We are Probably Vampires”). Watching them with a clean slate caused me to draw comparisons to bands I do know. On one hand, there were moments of stoner rock that came off like a tolerable version of Queens of the Stone Age. Other times power pop reigned supreme, bringing to mind Jimmy Eat World. Finally, a guitarist resembling David Gilmour and a keyboardist sounding off like Rick Wright demonstrated an obvious devotion to the classic rock of Pink Floyd, among others. All five members had stage presence, especially lead singer Matt Ostrowski. His behavior was borderline androgynous as he shook his skinny hips and waved his hands around his long brown hair. He reminded me of Brandon Boyd, even before he ripped off his t-shirt. He also reminded me of Stillwater’s front man in the movie Almost Famous (“I find the one guy in the crowd who isn’t getting off, and I make him get off”). Two songs in, he targeted some chatting girls up front and said “Sorry to break up your sewing circle, but we’re playing a show up here.” I laughed out loud, considering the crowd was less than 30 people at that point, and not many had come to see their band. But I knew from the moment I walked in – as the guitarist rubbed a bow down the strings of his blood-red Gibson SG creating the background for a vampire-worthy, drawn-out blues track – that these guys have something special. I was convinced of that by the time of their bombastic finale, and I will definitely keep an eye on these young locals.

Probably Vampires

Second was Geoff Reacher, a solo artist who took the stage with a red flower pinned to his t-shirt (which read “Fuck Geoff Reacher”) and a distinguished cap on his head. I spent a lot of time figuring out exactly what he was doing on stage. Basically he played guitar and sang along with preprogrammed beats and synthesizers. I liked that there was no laptop to be seen, because it added mystery to the show. The bottom line is that he got the kids to dance – an impressive feat in a town like Chicago. His vocals weren’t amazing, but he had a bluesy quality not unlike Langhorne Slim. Overall, he provided something new, interesting, and fun. And to do that alone takes balls. Looking further into his work reveals a strong influence from early Flaming Lips and Beck. He actually provides support for the argument that Beck was an accident (instead of the musical genius he’s often described as).

Elf Power, the headliner, took the stage around 11:30 pm. They weren’t really the highlight of the show, but they were darn good. Their music spanned all things indie rock from the first emissions of R.E.M. to present Elefant 6 partners Of Montreal, or other orchestral indie pop collective Broken Social Scene. I kept wondering why a band like this, who has been releasing music since the early 90’s, isn’t bigger by now. Then I remembered that no one from the Elefant 6 collective gets the credit they deserve (aside from Of Montreal, who are constantly inflating). These musicians are sinking into myth and legend along with Neutral Milk Hotel and Olivia Tremor Control. The cello and occasional clarinet provided an organic feel similar to that created by the Decemberists. Furthermore, the lead singer played an electric 12-string guitar throughout the set (Colin Meloy always sticks to his acoustic). That was something I had never witnessed before. They managed to keep the audience dancing most of the time, especially on songs with a quick and steady beat. Watching their music videos on YouTube.com, I realized they are also very in tune with the Flaming Lips’ earlier work. So they may not be the best example of psychedelic indie pop around today, but I am happy to have seen them. I hope they find a place in the super-hectic new millennium music world.

The show was $10 very well spent. For three hours I felt good, forgetting about the turmoil prevalent in my life right now, and the absence of common comforts. Next I hope to make it to see Asobi Seksu at Schubas on 9/22/06. Look for my report in the days following.

Video: "Never Believe" by Elf Power, from their 2004 album Walking With The Beggar Boys (released by Orange Twin)


No comments: