Monday, September 11, 2006

CD Releases - 9/12/06

I should really dive into CD releases more often. This year it seems like every band I follow is releasing new music...or maybe I just follow 10 times the bands that I used to. This week I see three CD's that I'm excited about. Since I haven't heard any of them yet, I'll just share what I know.

1) Basement Jaxx - Crazy Itch Radio (XL) : Their previous three albums were superior to any international electronic artists, including Daft Punk or Chemical Brothers, if you want a bounce-off-the-walls type of party. The problem with these groups is that they constantly try to top themselves, and often fail. Basement Jaxx, though, has not had a bad moment yet. Rooty's "Do Your Thing" is THE song to lift your spirits when you hate the world, but that tone rings in all their music. Let's hope for that same power on their new album.



2) The Mars Volta - Amputechture (Universal) : So I can't completely ditch this group yet, even if Frances the Mute was one of the most arrogant albums (and difficult listens) of the decade. Also, their live album just plain sucked despite their often impressive stage performance. Maybe some noises just can't be harnessed on modern technology. I did hear via Pitchfork that someone was throwing urine at them at a live show (see video below). They deserved it though. It looks like we've got another concept album on our hands, so if you jumped ship at "De-loused" you might want to swim to shore and stay there.



3) Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass (Matador) : These noise rock giants are still on Matador after all these years, and that should say something about how they approach music. They will never succumb to the pitfalls that most rising bands do. They will keep to themselves and do what they do best, and let you find them and become completely obsessed with their entire catalog. Or maybe that's just how it went for me. Be warned though, it sounds like this will be a sonic "ass beating" compared to their last couple outtings (although that theory isn't well supported by this video).

No comments: