Sunday, March 12, 2006

Meet Me In Montauk














This is something I wrote back in September about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I thought I should start branching out to topics beyond music. So here it is:

"I've decided that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorite movies. I love how it works backwards from when a couple is driving each other crazy, to when they were simply in love. It's a very unique look at a very common situation. I also love how they meet again, after their minds have been erased, and instantly fall for each other. I think this says that true love can't be erased. It lasts forever. Another twist on this idea is that we can’t help who we love, even if we try to deny it. The third thing I love is that they get a second chance. They find out that they were together, and that things got bad. But they realize another quality of true love, which is full acceptance. They know that they can make it better than the first time. I think everyone deserves a second chance once in a while...

The movie also touches on some important points. Joel often talks about how he wishes he had done things differently. The sad truth is that no one can change their past, nor can they re-live it. Memories are valuable, but they are not our life. Mistakes we make will become regrets only if we don't learn from them and improve our future efforts. Another important point is when Clementine says "I'm not a concept. I'm just a f*cked up girl trying to find my own peace of mind." Guys often think a woman can "save" them. No one thing can create happiness. No person, job, house, car, etc. Anyone who bases their happiness on a person will eventually be let down. Each person has to have their own life sorted out before a real, lasting relationship can develop.

There's also the important concept of valuing each moment, especially those spent with people who add meaning to our lives. As Joel's memories are being erased, he has one last chance to enjoy the good times he had with Clem. This gives a whole new meaning to "live each day like it's your last." Each memory that gets deleted is one closer to his last experience with Clem. It's really sad actually.

Another interesting concept is brought up at the end of the movie. After having their minds erased, they are given a tape with all the bad things they had said about each other before the procedure. What if you could know everything about a person within 2 days of meeting them? It would save so much time getting past the “getting to know you” phases.

The combination of Charlie Kaufman writing and Michel Gondy directing is near perfect. Michel has done a lot of music videos (which is evident). He depicts a man running through his own memories in an amazing fashion."

That's it. I just thought I should diversify the blog. Hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing (and watching the movie 50,000 times in a row).

No comments: